Since I am enjoy the holidays with family today, I give you my top five story picks of the year. And, for those of you who celebrate, Merry Christmas.
- Men’s Health. Essay by Hamilton Cain. My Son, Solved This is a beautiful, moving essay by a very gifted writer.
- Paige Bowers. A two-part story that I absolutely love. Start with Ugly American Tourism: A Self Portrait and finish with the fun follow-up Love, American Style.
- Betsy Lerner. The One That Got Away This is one of my all-time favorite posts by literary agent Lerner. Every time I read Mary Karr, I think of of this story.
- Liz Sheffield Bus Debate Liz is a talented essay writer and this one of my favorites. It speaks for itself.
- And here’s an essay from 2006, but I’m including it in this list because I discovered the author this year. Actually, I didn’t discover her. A friend sent me the book Lullabies for Little Criminals written by Heather O’Neill. (Thank you, Alex!) I love the author’s voice and writing style. This essay Almost Home gives you just a little taste.
Did you read a story or personal essay that particularly stuck with you this year? Share, please! The floor is yours.