Teaching Young Voices
For finding new approaches on the spot and reveling in imagination, there’s nothing better than teaching young writers. As a Lighthouse Writers Workshop Youth Program Faculty member and a Think 360 Arts for Learning Teaching Artist, I regularly teach creative nonfiction, screenwriting and fiction intensives to youths in grades 5 – 12 throughout the Denver area. For one-on-one tutoring info and rates, contact me.
Upcoming 2019 classes:
New! I’m so thrilled to be the instructor for the Lighthouse Teen Writing Studio. Come write with me and other young writers every other Thursday at Lighthouse in Denver. We have a few spots left!
I’ll be teaching additional fall workshops with more detail to come. You can find my Lighthouse Writers Workshop classes here.
- Winner of the 2019 Flying Pig, Grade-A, Number-One Ham Humor Award and Scholarship at Vermont College of Fine Arts Writing for Children & Young Adults MFA program
- Finalist in the 2016 Atlanta Film Festival Screenplay Competition
- Finalist in the 2015 SeriesFest Storytellers Initiative Comedy Pilot Competition
- Top 10% of the Drama category in the 2015 Austin Film Festival (AFF) Screenplay Competition
- Top 10% of the Drama category in the 2014 Austin Film Festival (AFF) Screenplay Competition
- Top 10% of the Comedy Category in the 2013 Austin Film Festival (AFF) Screenplay Competition
- Semi-Finalist for the 2014 Bluecat Screenplay Competition
- Featured Screenplay in the 2014 Portland Film Festival (one of four scripts)
- Finalist for the Barbara Deming Memorial Fund for Nonfiction
Writing for Hire: Copywriting
Approach & Clients
My writing ability is tied to my ear. A co-worker once proofread a speech I’d written for a CEO and described my work as “creepy,” because the page sounded exactly like the man. It’s this ear-to-the-page talent that keeps my freelance copywriting inbox full. Clients hire me to capture a singular voice, whether it’s a person, product or brand. I’ve stepped into well-established brand voices like Nordstrom and Starbucks, developed the sound of new companies and collaborated with authors on projects ranging from industry publications to memoirs.
Clients also single me out for a human sound. I can take dense, often technical, information and distill it into text an actual person can understand—and even want to read. This skill landed me one of my all-time favorite projects: writing for the San Francisco War Memorial & Performing Arts Center. (A dream project for a theatre geek like me.) I got to sing the beauty of their event venues while also helping SFWMPAC detail specifications like lighting systems and fly space.
These two skills have elevated everything I’ve written, from copy for websites, email and social media campaigns, and seo as well as white papers and industry publications to speeches and video scripts. And they’ve thrilled a range of current and past clients, including:
- Vail Resorts
- Intermec Technologies
- Booyah Online Advertising
- San Francisco War Memorial & Performing Arts Center
- AZDS Interactive Group (with end clients including Montage Hotels & Resorts; Shutters on the Beach; other luxury brands)
- Van Hyest Group (with end client Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation)
- VOCO Creative (with end clients including Earth Balance; Madhava; Jolly Llama Sorbet Pops)
- and many small businesses.